Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Indecisive

Today we were planning to go to the beach. This morning I felt too tired to endure the hour drive though.
(Surely this had nothing to do with my 1:00 a.m. summer bed time.)

So instead on the agenda, I added making the button monogram that I wanted for the craft room wall.

First, I couldn't decide which fabric I wanted to use as the background.
So, I spread a bounty of buttons over the choices to decide (eventually) which one I preferred.


Of course, my smart ass brilliant husband pointed out that my name didn't start with a "C." However, it made for an easy & quick preview.

I decided on the orange gingham and after hot gluing the fabric and initial outline, I started doubting that I wanted a hodgepodge collage of buttons.


I have seen examples of the button monogram done with monochromatic buttons and done with an eclectic mix.


I thought the funkier mix was more "me" but now I am reconsidering. Sooo, I decided to walk away from it for the day and come back to look at it tomorrow with a fresh mind and new perspective. Wouldn't life be so much easier if we could do that all the time? I beg my students to finish writing their papers early and give themselves enough time to come back to it and look at their work with fresh eyes. I am sure they diligently follow that advise, ha!

I did decide to divide that landfill of buttons into different color piles.


Yes, I have a lot of buttons. I love. L-O-V-E. buttons. I have a Pinterest board dedicated to just Button Projects. I think I have loved buttons forever because in this mix there are military uniform buttons I remember getting from my grandmother's sewing box over 25 years ago. I have bought one bulk bag of buttons over the years, but for the most part I have just ALWAYS cut buttons from clothes when they were worn beyond the condition to donate. As a matter of fact, I even came across the three orange buttons that were from the shirt I wore when I brought Justin home from the hospital 20 years ago. Sadly perhaps, I can look at a lot of my buttons and remember the specific outfit that donated them to my collection. But now I have lots of crafty ideas to use them for!

Lastly, this evening I planned to use the pasta maker attachment that I bought for our Kitchen Aid... but, I just threw two Hot Pockets in the microwave instead.

So, all in all... a very indecisive day.

No comments: