Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Summer Suspended

The calendar says that it's July, the second week of July to be exact. I am well acquainted with the date because I write it on the board each morning before Summer School begins. Even though the calendar says we are in the throws of summer, I don't quite feel it yet. Shortly after declaring that morning Summer School was an ideal situation because I was earning some extra bank but still had the greater part of the day to enjoy summer... I was asked to remediate students in the afternoon that need to retake the state-mandated Reading test. Thus, at least three days a week I spend nine hour days at the school, more than I would on some regular school days (not most, because I usually am among the last to end the school day).

Summer School ends this week, and then there's only a couple of extra days of Remediation to finish next week. Summer Days are close. I can smell them. They smell like the chlorinated pools of Water Country. The truth is, given my school schedule- and even on weekends- I certainly still could have had a little Summer Fun. But I have not. I have not been to Busch Gardens since before school ended, despite our season passes. I have not been to Water Country or the beach at all. My soul is really craving some sand between my toes. I know... I know... I like the idea of going to the beach far more than the reality. Until I am still washing sand from hidden crevices three days later though, that fact is not really going to outshine the ideal.

Contrary to my decision to "Not Count Down" during the school year, quite the contrary has been true for the summer. According to the app on the front of my phone, there are
39 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes, and 20 seconds
until school starts back for staff... 19 seconds, 18 seconds, 17 seconds...

I am not at all counting down the days with the dread of returning. I look forward to the beginning of the school year. I was talking with my principal just today about how teaching is so unique in the way that you get to experience a complete renewal each year. I want to make sure I take the time to relax and revive before investing myself into a new school year though. So, the countdown serves to make sure that I don't let those opportunities sweep themselves away before life gets busy again.

I need to "Sharpen the Saw"- Habit #7 of the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.

Balance and renew your resources, energy, and health to create a sustainable, long-term, effective lifestyle. It primarily emphasizes exercise for physical renewal, prayer (meditation, yoga, etc.) and good reading for mental renewal. It also mentions service to society for spiritual renewal.

Of course, the only person that I have ever met that adamantly followed the Seven Habits committed suicide, so... not so sure they may be the "Path to Professional Enlightenment." However, I do know myself well enough to know that if I do not specifically carve some time away the everyday routine of life over the summer I am going to be simply grumpy and stressed when school starts.

No comments: